Friday, September 28, 2012
Jailbird Hat Pattern
I've been working hard the last few weeks to get the boys Halloween costumes finished. I'm always grateful for a little push to get me motivated, so I was thrilled when Andrea from The Train To Crazy, again asked me to be part of her Handmade Costume series. I'm guest posting there tomorrow with a tutorial for how to make your own Jailbird knit.
I used some of my favorite "Sewing For Boys" patterns for the outfit but drafted the hat myself, so thought I'd run down how to make the cap because even if your little guy doesn't want to be a jailbird for Halloween, it's a great accessory for the dress-up box.
- Jailbird Cap Pattern
- 1/2 yard of white knit fabric (I used a medium weight interlock)
- medium weight, fusible and sewable interfacing
- disappearing, water soluble marking pen
- painter's tape
- black fabric (a spray paint form will help the painting go quickly)
1. Download, print, and cut the cap pattern
2. Trace your pattern pieces onto the fabric and cut out. Then create your jailbird knit by taping stripes (1 inch apart) onto one set of pattern pieces and spray painting. Let dry at least an hour before removing the tape.
3. Fuse the interfacing to the wrong side of the striped hat band.
4. With right sides together, sew the raw short edge of the main hat band using a 1/4 inch seam and a zig-zag stitch. Repeat with the lining band. Press the seams open.
5. With rights sides together, pin the main hat band to the main top piece, making sure the seam of the hat band is at the back of the hat. Use a 1/4 inch seam to sew the raw edges using a zig-zag stitch. Repeat with the lining pieces. Press the seams toward the hat band and top stitch.
6. Place the main hat side the lining hat matching the back seams on each hat band, pin around the edge.
7. Sew around the raw edge, 1/4 inch seam, with a zig-zag stitch, leaving a 1 1/2 inch opening for turning.
8. Turn the hat right side out, press the opening inward and top stitch along the bottom edge.
And there you have your very own jailbird cap. Cause' some one's got to be the bad guy when you're playing cops and robbers.
He may be guilty as charged but lucky for me his punishment will be a whole bunch of kisses. If I can keep a hold of him, that is.