For C, I went with a gray and black striped, lightweight knit and upcycled an old, black t-shirt of mine for the sleeves. He has been all things Star Wars since the Fall . . . so really, there wasn't much choice in how I was going to embellish this one.
I decided to use a freezer paper stencil. I simply created a stencil using my Silhouette machine. Once I saw the image on the stripes, I decided to go for a graffiti feel.
C's worn the shirt two days in a row. This makes me smile a) because it totally means he likes it and b) because he's got very few years left where this is acceptable. I can just imagine the fights we're going to have over body odor.
For K's, I recycled some long sleeve waffle knit, used a heavy sweatshirt knit for the body, and appliqued a few superheros. I'm still mulling this one over. I like the overall look, but I should have cut off the original seams. I'm not psyched about the way the neckband lays. It's just a bit too thick. I think I'll be redoing that part.
What I do like about it, is how soft the gray sweatshirt material is. The older boys approved the embellishments at the bottom. C thought it was pretty funny how the superhero looks like he's taking off into the air.
I know I'll be coming back to this pattern time and time again. The pattern itself, I found very easy to use. The second shirt took me less than 30 minutes to make. Even with the extra time I'll be spending fixing the neckband to my liking, it's a good deal. And considering I've done very little sewing with knits, I'm not only happy with the overall turn out, I'm excited to make more in the future.