In the past, if you tried to search for sewing patterns for boys clothing, you'd come up short. I've always wanted to sew clothes for my little guys, but honestly, I lack pattern generating talent. Thankfully, for us sewing moms/grandmas/aunts, this is a growing trend. With the institution of blog series such as "Celebrate the Boy" and "The Kids Clothes Week Challenge", there are finally more places to turn to for great tutorials and patterns.
Sewing For Boys: 24 Projects to Creat a Handmade Wardrobe, recently landed on my doorstep and I was thrilled to find a book full of things my boys would actually wear. Just looking through the book has been so inspiring so I've vowed to dedicate time each month, for the next year, working on clothing projects for my boys. I plan to tackle at least one pattern each month. I'm hoping you'll sew along with me and keep me honest.
The Sewing For Boys Sew Along begins January 1st! Whether you plan to sew along or just sew at your own pace, you can buy your copy through Amazon or your local bookstore. Starting in January should give us plenty of time to get our books. To keep us motivated, I've lined up prizes for each month.
Rules and Guidelines -
- I will announce the patterns on or around the 1st of every month. We will have two patterns for most months. I plan on starting with the patterns deemed "beginner" and work my way up to progressively harder patterns (according to the book this just means there are more pattern pieces).
- You'll need to join the Sewing For Boys Sew A Long Group on Flickr.
- You must make some sort of additional embellishment on your creation! Add embroidery, tie dye, fabric printing, applique, quilting, patchwork, beads or something else that makes it truly unique.
- When you finish take some pictures and post them to your blog or flickr page. Be sure to tell us about what you did and how you embellished the pattern. Be sure to link back to this post or include one of these buttons somewhere in your blog post (and elsewhere on your blog too!).
- Most Important!!!!!! When your project is complete, submit a link in the comments section of the pattern post for that month's pattern so you are entered in the contest for that month. If you don't post your link you will not be entered in the contest.
Too start us off on this great sewing journey, Wiley Publishing, is sending me three "Sewing For Boys" books. Since I've already gotten my copy, these are just. for. you! Want one? Comment below and tell me what your favorite boy clothing item is. Make sure to include a way for me to get in contact with you, should you win. This giveaway closes on Nov. 7th.